Get ready to lose yourself in the magic and merriment of the Southern Indiana Renaissance Faire! The faire returns to Birdsell Castle in Charlestown, IN for two weekends in May of 2023. Both weekends will feature nonstop entertainment featuring jousting, Viking battle demonstrations, musicians, jugglers, a falconer, a magician, a puppet show and much more! This year the faire is incorporating special themes for each weekend - May 13 & 14 is Fantasy Weekend and May 20 & 21 is Pirate Weekend.
No matter which weekend you attend, you'll be treated to mingling with nobility, pirates, and fairies, all right here in Southern Indiana. Stroll through a village filled with renaissance entertainment, food and drink, and a unique artisan market. You’ll see dedicated actors in authentic costumes and vendors selling medieval- and fantasy-themed wares. You and your family can join in with your own costumes as you sample meals, select treasures to bring home and cheer for your favorite knight as they take to the field on horseback. Costumes are always welcome and encouraged.
More than a dozen performers and 100 vendors are expected at the May Renaissance Faire. Here are a few you won't want to miss!
Knights of the New Order - a full-contact jousting group!
Molotov - a fire breather and sword swallower!
Celtica Fae providing music and entertainment.
Falconer Mark Booth
Sprout the Fairy will be in the Enchanted Forest on May 13 to interact with the kids and Punch and Judy will be there May 14, 20 & 21.
Additional performers include Drunk & Sailor, Johnny Hexx, The Lute & The Lady, Chaste Treasure, Witches, Misfit Gypsies, PICTUS, Pirates, Inc. and Stuart Sisk. Visit the Southern Indiana Renaissance Faire Facebook page to view a detailed schedule and for frequent updates on performers and vendors expected at this year's faire!
Know Before You Go
If you’ve never been to a Renaissance Faire, you don’t know what you’re missing! Here are some tips for first-timers:
1. You don’t have to dress up (but it’s more fun if you do). Think of the Knights of the Round Table, Vikings, pirates, faeries, princesses, dukes, queens and kings. You can find costumes in advance right here in Southern Indiana at Horner Novelty in Jeffersonville or at Raven’s Roost Boutique in New Albany. You can also check out Amazon.com or HalloweenCostumes.com. There will be some clothing vendors on-site, too.
2. Plan your visit ahead of time. Pick up a map when you enter the castle and note times for the acts you want to see, places you want to shop, and food you want to try.
3. Brush up on your Old English. Don’t be surprised if you hear people saying good-morrow (good morning), privy (bathroom), m’lord (term for men), m’lady (term for women), wee folk (children) and more.
4. Bring essentials with you. Cash, credit cards, hand sanitizer, wipes, sunscreen, stroller.
5. Pets are not permitted, with the exception of service animals. For the safety of performers and guests, service animals must be leashed at all times and kept away from the Falconer, the stable and the joust.
Buy Tickets Online or at the gate. Tickets are ONLY available at the official Southern Indiana Renaissance Faire website, or at the gate. Do not purchase from other vendors!
Online ticket prices:
- General Admission $20/day
- Senior and Active Military $15/day
- Weekend Pass $35
- Children 3 – 12 $15/day
- Children 2 and under are Free
Tickets purchased at the gate are $20/day.
Parking is $5.
Special rates are available at the nearby Cobblestone Hotel & Suites if you want to stay overnight. Mention “Southern Indiana Renaissance Faire" or "Birdsell Castle” to get the discount. Call ahead to check availability. Other nearby accommodations include:
Hilton Garden Inn Jeffersonville (19-minute drive)
Fairfield by Marriott Louisville Jeffersonville (19-minute drive)
Days Inn & Suites by Wyndham – Sellersburg (24-minute drive)
Ramada Sellersburg – Louisville North (25-minute drive)
View more places to stay in SoIN, including hotels with riverside views and near bustling shops and restaurants, here.
If you aren’t able to make it to the faire in May, fret not! The grounds at Birdsell Castle hosts a fall faire October 14 & 15 and October 21 & 22. Keep an eye on the Southern Indiana Renaissance Faire website for more details on these and other Birdsell Castle events.
Order our FREE Visitor Guide! read more
Sign-up to our monthly newsletter for insider blogs, special offers, and stay up... read more